Komikon 2014


Return to Komikon!

It's been a couple of years since I was able to visit Komikon at the Bayanihan Center in Pasig City, but last Saturday I was able to stop by after it opened and catch up on the local comics scene. I gave a bunch of my copies of favorites titles away recently so I needed to get some replacements as well.

Word to the wise for next year, it opens at 10am, but unless you're trying to get first in line for something, it's probably better to arrive around 11am so you don't have to wait in line to enter the convention floor.



Photos courtesy of Wendee Yap


If you're not familiar with it, there are two Komikon events each year, one at the University of Diliman and another in Pasig, that are held to promote local talent in the industry, showcase new books and publications from local artists, and spread a general love of the genre. You can read more about it at www.komikon.org

The November Komikon is usually held at the Baynihan Center at the United Laboratories compound on Pioneer St., Kapitolyo, Pasig City. A map can be found on the Komikon's website, but it's just a tricycle ride away from Shaw Blvd, corner Pioneer St. I thought that the last Komikon (think it might have been 2012) was packed, but this year it seems to have gotten even bigger. Attendance was pretty spectacular. I think the even may have already outgrown this smaller venue, or maybe there was just a lot more stuff to see!


We got there pretty early on, so the artists and writers hadn't all gotten there yet, but already the aisles were teeming with geeks. By 12 noon, it was hard to navigate around the middle, especially at KikoMachine Komix and VisPrint tables.

Special guests this year were Stephen Segovia, artist of Marvel, DC, and Valiant titles, and Melvin Calingo (aka tagailog), creator of Pasig, and co-creator of Kubori Kikiam and Kanto Inc. 

One of the first sets I picked up were a few signed copies of Pasig for a friend of mine. Thanks, Melvin!


I got a few other books signed while I was there. I've been hearing a lot of people recommend Sixty Six, which is a new title from Russell Molina and Skyworld artist Ian Sta. Maria, so I stop there on my way to pick up my The Mythology Class covers from Nautilus Comics. Russell was kind enough to sign issues 1 to 3 for me, and after reading the first one about an hour ago, I've got to say I'm really excited for the trades next year.


I also finally got a chance to pick up Crime-Fighting Call Center Agents by Noel Pascual and AJ Bernardo, which I'd seen at the last Komikon I attended. I didn't have money then, but I came prepared this time. They had issues 4-6 when we arrived, when both Noel and AJ were at the table, but by the time re-prints of 1-3 had arrived, it was lunch and AJ had stepped away.

Guess that means I need to make a note to bring them again next year.


I also got my Mythspace trade signed by artists Jules Gregorio, Borg Sinaban, and Cristina Chua. I don't know much about this title, but I've always judged a book by it's cover and this one says that it's about "robot-riding Nuno, and Kapres from space." Sold!

I picked 2 posters of Shishio Makoto and Himura Kenshin by Tanod artist Jerico Marte, which are frankly, totally breathtaking. I also got issue #1 of Chee Kee's Tanod and Mang Jose for good measure. Aside from that, I stopped by the Visprint table to pull another set of Trese books (too bad they didn't have No. 3) as well as finally get the Book of Murders hardcover, and the second book of The Filipino Superhero League. I pre-ordered Trese book 6 and got a pair of Tabi Po trades for good measure.

Last stop was the Nautilus comics table to pick up my set of 3 The Mythology Class covers and a Trip to Tagaytay, both books I've always wanted to read, but never picked up. After getting those, it was time to go. I forgot how big they were. Like encyclopedia volumes!

I have to admit that I didn't have enough time to check out the whole event. I had to bypass the entire Comic Odyssey table, the Indie Tiangge, and I wasn't able to check out any of the discussions or screenings. I wasn't even able to really get everything signed, but there's always next year.

There were some great little vendors out in the foyer that were selling geeky merchandise. My favorite was Penguin Sews, which was selling some super cute crocheted Studio Ghibli toys:

 

We also saw some awesome board games, but they cost more than I was willing to shell out. Php 3,500 for that Doctor Who Monopoly. So tempted.


There was also a space for National Bookstore with lots of discount trades, and another table for the upcoming Metro Manila Film Festival movie, Kobot: The Aswang Chronicles. They were giving away free posters with art by Ian Sta. Maria, which was pretty cool. Not a big fan of the first one, but I am still curious about the sequel, see if they've been able to improve on Tiktik.


The best purchase I made wasn't even for me. This shirt by the Art Initiative and Kajo Baldisimo is just awesome and I wish they had it in my size. The white on the graphic is actually flocked so that it stands out from the cloth and adds a nice texture. Totally worth the Php 900 in my opinion, especially since it's an exclusive.


Overall, it was a great way to spend a Saturday, and I hope I'll be able to make it to the Summer Komikon next year. It was a great event, that seemed well organized and very focused. I do hope they look into moving to another venue next year, though. If attendance keeps going up, it's going to be at MRT level in there.

Here's a few more photos.

 


  

 


And here are my hauls for the weekend. My bowel movements will be nice and relaxing with all this material to read.


Thanks a lot to all the organizers, artists, writers, publishers, and vendors at the event. You guys made a lot of geeks happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Joint Junkie